Sunday, December 6, 2015

Macbeth's Netflix Recommendations

Macbeth's Netflix Recommendations


Today I will be taking on the role of Macbeth in Shakespeare's play, "Macbeth." Macbeth (me) will be time traveling from 1606 to 2015 and recommending several TV shows that he would watch.

1. First up, Breaking Bad. I, as king of Scotland, highly recommend this popular TV show  because of how much the king of meth reminds me of myself. Walter White is basically a reincarnation of me. We both started out as what our societies would consider "good." But we both broke bad and turned into rebel kings with lots of power. Furthermore, we both had insane wives that influenced our decisions. Lastly, we were both consciously aware of the consequences of our choices, but the need for more fed our drive to the point of no return.
Stars: 9/10

2. Next I would like to recommend the wacky show of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. The reasons I am recommending this show is because the main character takes murder to a whole new level. She kills vampires, demons, and other supernatural creatures. How awesome is that?? My love for murder combined with my interest in the supernatural in this epic TV show. The main character, Buffy Summers, is faced with the difficult obstacle of fate and prophecies. I know all too well how strenuous dealing with fate can be! she feels I never really liked Hecate or the weird sisters, so, sometimes I watch this when I am feeling a little angry in order to relieve some stress.
Stars: 7/10

3. I present to you my third recommendation of the movie, The Last King of Scotland. This film's name just screams amazing and makes me reminisce about how I used to be the King of Scotland. This film is about a serious struggle for power in Uganda. Filled with exciting murders and plot twists, I find this fiction movie to be exhilarating! The main character, Nicholas Garrigan, is a Scottish nationalist who is admired by the Ugandan president for his resistance against the British. I also admire Garrigan for this trait because I cannot stand the British either.
Stars: 8/10

4. Lastly I recommend the thriller movie, Now You See Me. My reasons for recommending this movie include its incredible twist on the supernatural. Humans nowadays have changed the supernatural into a strange occurrence called magic. Modern day witches are called magicians and escape artists that make loads of money through deception and fate. This movie is a prime example of modern day witches and how they are able to make money and gain power through the supernatural. The action-packed plot takes viewers on a full-fledged roller coaster on how in the world the 4 magicians are able to perform their outstanding stunts. I was on the edge of my seat the entire movie trying to figure out who the fifth horseman could be. Highly recommend this movie and I personally cannot wait for the sequel to come out!
Stars: 9.5/10

4 comments:

  1. Love that you typed this out as a first person thing & your recommendations are great! Many people put Breaking Bad but so far you're the only one who mentioned the crazy wife which I think adds to your reasons. I like how you draw from a specific character in some of the recommendations and show the similarities between them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ryan I loved your connection between Macbeth and the characters in the shows and movies that you chose. You really showed your understanding of Macbeth at a deeper level and you connected him well with the shows while also providing a good synopsis of the shows themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ryan I really thought that the choices to include in the playlist were great. I think that the reasoning as to why they would be included in the playlist for Macbeth are all relevant and show how the shows could be of help to Macbeth if he viewed them. I really like the inclusion of Now You See Me and it's link to the supernatural because when I first saw that movie I didn't think about it that way but after looking at your blog it made me think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ryan i thought it was really cool how you wrote this blog in the first person. It really showed that you have a good understanding of the Character Macbeth and it was cool that you were able to put your own personal interpretation on his character. Cool Post.

    ReplyDelete